Skip to content

Ateneo welcomes Perasol, pays tribute to Black

by
Saturday, 8 December 2012 46 Comments

The Ateneo community, headed by President Fr. Jett Villarin, has put out the red carpet to their new head coach, Bo Perasol, in time UAAP Season 76 men’s basketball.

Besides the welcome party last December 8 at the MVP lobby inside the Ateneo campus, the whole community also paid tribute to the accomplishment of former mentor Norman Black and his Drive for Five.

“Win or we do not lose, it’s the school we choose,” Villarin told the audience in his opening remark that drew laughters from the crowd. “First of all, we are so thankful to Manny V. Pangilinan for helping us and of course to coach Norman Black.”

“Coach Norman Black’s five championships UAAP men’s basketball will always be remembered in history,” said Villarin, encouraging Perasol to maintain the school’s winning tradition. “I’m hoping the upcoming coach will keep the winning tradition.”

Perasol humbly accepted the challenge, I will do my best to keep this team win. I’m really happy to see that the school program is also there. I only need to maintain the basketball school program.”

Perasol, a former University of the Philippines stalwart during early 90’s, said he will start team practice on December 10 then early next year, he be on a scouting mission to hoard potential talents into one of the nation’s most successful basketball programs.

“Pro basketball and collegiate basketball are far different,” said Perasol, who coached the AIR21 Express and defunct Coca-Cola Tigers in the Philippine Basketball Association. “I need to assemble the team from its current to future line-up.”

Black also added that his successor can get the job done. “He is a good coach. I’m confident he can guide the community in winning games,” said Black, who also got a personal thank you message from Chris Tiu, now playing for Rain or Shine in the PBA.

“I’m so thankful for the community for supporting me. You (Ateneo) are a part of my life,” said Black, who coached Ateneo in eight years and won five titles under his tenure.

Black is also a best import awardee in the PBA, and now the head coach of Talk ‘N Text.

By Josef Ramos

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

Stay updated. Follow us on Twitter @inboundpass and Join the Conversation - @hoopnut, @michaelabasolo, @CharlieC, @janebracher @samuelevardone

46 Comments

• hahahha says:

Everybody knows AdMU’s coach will be Bo Perasol, what’s the point of another ateneo article?

• Red Rampant says:

Its a news article. Get it? It is informative. It is intended for everyone. It is for people who know and would want to know thru reading.

• WES says:

the point? earlier reports were that December 1 was Bo Perasol’s effective and starting date at the head coaching, but he didn’t in last Friday’s PCCL. So I guess this is the article for, the date of effectivity and off-season work by the new Ateneo coach. It actually helps. It’s actually okay since this would be a good way in hyping next season, that preparations are as early as now. so kung makita mo si coach bo w/ high schoolers starting december 10, alam na. gets?

• Mike Abasolo says:

What’s wrong with giving you good news.

• grrr says:

Mike you should ban rrrr here in ibp. Puro negative comments lang yan. Bitter kasi talo sa ust sa pccl.

• rrrr says:

So who said I was bitter?

I think I mentioned in previous replies to other people that whoever comes out the winner would be the best team for that particular league.

UST deserved to win, silly. Like Ateneo deserved its 5-peat in the UAAP.

• haha says:

So this is all you can throw at Ateneans, Thomasian? How primitive.

• WES says:

Hey Mike, just a suggestion. It would be nice if you would make an article of rules regarding off-season recruitment. There seems to be a lot of unclear matter as “when can schools start recruiting”, “schools and players enter into a contract”, etc. Those kinds of stuff. Thanks, Mike! Sincerely one of your loyal readers, What Everybody Said (WES).

• Force says:

Better yet, since I want to bring this to a journalist’s attention: can any journalist clarify if there such a rule in our local university leagues that regulates the benefits being given directly to student athletes?

According to my googling, in the US NCAA there is such a rule such as “improper benefits rule” if you could also remember penny and shaq’s Classic movie: “Blue Chip” it’s there.

Commercialization of these leagues is rampant, the market is huge, media makes a lot from advertising big brands that apparently targets upper middle class and the high class class. College players endorse products from these brands as well some of these brands make custom products for the college players (ex: nike shoes endorsed by RR Garcia, Ravena, and co. Adidas makes school Jerseys and jackets.) As opposed to PBA players who I believe gets less endorsements than they do and target the masses (ex. Asi for Accel).
        My point is: College basketball is popular among the upper echelon of society, companies and players are certainly making huge sums money.

All the hype and media attention are certainly broadcast around the country and outside of the country for overseas pinoys, and this kind of exposure will trigger something among the students and alumni of those schools: Pride. The natural thing is to be caught up by this exposure and trigger an inner need to show all the Filipinos in the world that I belong to this organization which is superior to the other organizaions or my organization can stand toe to toe with the superior organization (through basketball programs which is uniquely Filipino by the way).

Now, with this pride comes the elite people who are part of those organizations (by part of I mean, student,alumni, professor, official, owner or whatever.) who give support to those programs, monetary to be exact. I guess it would be fair to donate amounts for facilities (and staff which is probably ok too) to be used by the athletes in sports programs. But the big issue I’m trying to bring up is the monetary benefits the student athletes receive from these benefactors which affects the recruiting of players and ultimately bring the unfair competition that comes with it (money talks). the probable promises of cars, money or whatever material things. The only thing some schools can promise is playing time, scholarship, probably lodging, and a solid athletic and academic program.

There are certainly under the table deals in the US NCAA, but there is a rule to counter them for fair competition. Over this and the last decade, the top high school recruits have gone to colleges with known benefactors to their basketball programs. I wanna know if this rule exists here, and I want to bring this to the attention of the college leagues here in the country.

The good thing I see about this issue:

Top heavy teams have blue chip recruits, while others don’t. This paves way for other players from those organizations having less advantage to be given more opportunities.
        And also more importantly test the player development program of that certain organization to ultimately boost the talent pool of athletics in the country.

Apologize for this long comment and I know I write badly. Hope this gets your attention sir mike. No bashing please nothing negative here, just my opinion. thanks sir mike!

• WES says:

It would be nice to see if the Philippine collegiate has its own “anti-boosters rule”

• Tax says:

There is no such rule in the UAAP. For any complaints, please raise to the board.

• yah right says:

Maganda ung rule na yan but I think mahirap i-adopt yan dito. First of all, iba iba ang capabilities ng mga school. I think all teams have their own development programs pero ung richer schools are more advanced like ADMU adn DLSU. Mas madami din kasi silang resources, so malamang mas gugustuhin pa rin nila dun..

• Madz says:

asa ka pa may rules dito. nasa Pilipinas tayo pre, kahit batas trapiko, wala nang sumusunod.

• Red Rampant says:

The biggest hype is, who will get Mbala? Ateneo, San Beda, La Salle or NU?

• Force says:

All the hype and media attention are certainly broadcast around the country and outside of the country for overseas pinoys, and this kind of exposure will trigger something among the students and alumni of those schools: Pride. The natural thing is to be caught up by this exposure and trigger an inner need to show all the Filipinos in the world that I belong to this organization which is superior to the other organizaions or my organization can stand toe to toe with the superior organization through basketball programs which is uniquely Filipino by the way.

The good thing I see about this issue:

• westphilsea says:

good work Mike…. Talk about other coaches too….

• Spinning Back Fist says:

Oo nga naman. Well, maraming bad trip eh.

• Old Timer says:

Marami talagang abnormal dito Mike. Mga edukado DAW?

• westphilsea says:

Good info! My final 4 for next season:

ADU
    UST
    DLSU
    NU

• rrrr says:

how did ADU go in?

• westphilsea says:

I am speculating that a good coach will make a difference next year. Let me add UE too because of Zamar and take out DLSU.

ADU
        UE
        UST
        NU

Not in that order.

• Anti-heat says:

While I respect your prediction I think the reason UE did so well in the 2nd round was because they had nothing to play for anymore but pride. It’s different when each game you play still counts.

• OBF says:

UST will have to develop a point guard…

UE has not proven anything…

Maybe a top 5 should include DLSU…. if politics does not set in … If they discriminate against Vosotros and Andrada that will be their end…

• rrrr says:

@west phil sea.

I think your prediction is too optimistic. Good coaching is okay but players are needed.

This would be more realistic:

DLSU
          UST
          NU
          ADMU

• westphilsea says:

No issue on good players… Let’s agree on that one.

But, I dont want to think in terms of players just yet; you can say in my thinking, I am saying that the weight of good coaching will have a 70% influence on who gets to the Final 4 and I am also saying that having good players will have the balance. This has been demonstrated by ADMU’s case. With Blach, they won the UAAP; without Black…. PCCL hmmm.

As far as I know, Coach Leo, Coach Zamar, Coach Pido and Coach Eric have an edge in terms of experience and depth in thinking.

Perasol will be new, and not only that but the whole team must adjust to the new system.While I admit that he does not need a tal team to win, he has not proved anything yet. The PBA is the PBA; College Basketball is about school pride.

Racela is new and inexperience as well… and so will be the whole system…FEU will have to rediscover themselves.

Gee is a good coach but I dont know if he can outwit the other coaches assuming that their players were equally strong. The ‘challenge’ option cannot be used often. He will also be uder tremendous pressure from the alumni. IMO, he was lucky in a lot of games in the UAAP. Coach Leo beat him in the PCCL. One can argue PCCL lang yan, but he lossed just the same.

UP….???

• westphilsea says:

I am putting a premium in Coaching….

• haha says:

Nope. Sorry. Did your grades in school depend on your tutor? Is that how you grew up? Did you blame your tutor 70% of the time on failed exams?

I think the only team we agree on is UST. UST will garner one of the top two seeds. They have a good coach but their depth is impressive. Losing Fortuna will be compensated because they are loaded in the other four positions.

Coach Leo is no doubt the best coach in the UAAP. But he had trouble when he lost his point guards. Adamson still doesn’t have a point guard nor any type of main man to rely on unlike Ateneo, UST, NU and Lasalle.

Coach Zamar never reached the finals and failed to defend his 2nd seed over a 3rd seeder back in 2002. Roy Sumang topped the scoring because UE had no choice. If Sumang played for the likes of UST, he would only be a third choice scorer.

DLSU will make it to Final Four because they have the most intact line-up and a sophomore leader in Jeron Teng.

So to you, Ateneo’s Black-less stint in PCCL proved something? They battled it out with UST until the end. It could have easily gone either way. Bo Perasol has ONE WHOLE YEAR to install his system and players like Ravena, Buenafe, Newsome, Erram they will at least make a playoff run.

Didn’t you also NU because of its players? Bo is waaaay better than Eric Altimarano, do you even know his coaching history? What’s so special about coaching a 3on3 youth team?

• OBF says:

I agree. The mind, the intelligence and the wisdom of a coach will always far outweight basketball skills. Franz Pumaren said that in a different way, defending the academic qualifications of his players and of his school, ‘basketball is far from just being a physical game’.

Black reiterated that same wisdom in a different way, if you(referring to his players) follow the gameplan, we will lose.

Yes to intelligence, the mind and to a good coach.

• OBF says:

garbage in, garbage out

• westphilsea says:

spy on their practices now….

• OBF says:

SBF, Thanks! The adversaries will be tall and experienced. The 6 peat is wishful thinking. If he makes it to final 4, it will be over-achieving. His key players are very smart, perhaps the smartest, but they are not good shooters.

Is there a chance to get to the Final 4??? I doubt it. ADU will be very strong. UST believe it is their time. DLSU will want it. NU, even more.

• westphilsea says:

salamat po! Talo pa rin…….

• SBF says:

UST needs Pingoy more than anyone.

• The Biased says:

Charlie my dear why don’t you write an article about the San Beda coaching issue? Isn’t that NEWS also? Oh I forgot you are a spin doctor for Ateneo, to think you are from UP.

• Red Rampant says:

I think its because its the Christmas and not college basketball season, duh. The man has some other life too, you know.