Skip to content

PCCL 2012 Finals: Growling Tigers end game spunk mow down Blue Eagles

by
Tuesday, 27 November 2012 3,652 Views / 32 Comments

The UST Growling Tigers weathered an end game storm to score an upset against reigning UAAP Champions, the Ateneo Blue Eagles, 82-76, in Game One of their best of three series of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) 2012 Finals on November 27, Tuesday at the Arena in San Juan City.

With the breaks of the game on their side, the Growling Tigers ignited in the final three minutes of the game a crucial 8-0 run after a technical foul by the Blue Eagles for delaying the game.

Skipper Jeric Fortuna initiated the run by sinking two charities, followed by a Carmelo Afuang right corner jumper off a Clark Bautista assist to regain the lead, 74-73, with 1:15 left.

Karim Abdul, left wide open by Greg Slaughter, after challenging the missed jumper of Aljon Mariano, widened the gap via a 2nd chance stab, before Kevin Ferrer calmly nailed a layup with 22 seconds left for a comfortable, 78-73 lead.

At the other end, Ryan Buenafe nailed a desperation trey to come to within, 76-78, but the Growling Tigers responded as Jeric Teng and Mariano converted both their attempts from the stripe to seal the game, 82-76.

The Growling Tigers then exploded with a 12-3 run in the last 2:26 minutes to seal the win for good.

“Sabi ko sa mga players depensa ang mag papanalo samin and sa huli yun nga ang key sa panalo namin today.” said assistant coach Estong Ballesteros who called the shots after UST head tactician Pido Jarencio failed to show up due to German Measles.

The Growling Tigers had 5 players scoring in double digits with sophomore Kevin Ferrer contributing a perfect 9-of-9 from the field to lead his team with 18 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists, while Abdul, Teng , Mariano, and Afuang had 12, 12, 11, and 10 points respectively for UST.

“Basta tulong tulong lang kami, kung sino ang mas may puso yun ang mananalo,” Ballesteros added.

The Blue Eagles crawled back from a four point deficit, 66-70, with Tonino Gonzaga scoring 5 of his 7 points including a go ahead lay up to take the lead, 73-70, with 2:26 left, but Greg Slaughter accidentally tapped the ball that caused the delay of game technical.

The España-based squad also outscored the Blue Eagles in the 3rd quarter, 21-16, entering the final quarter with a two point lead, 60-58, after trailing by three points at the end of the 1nst half, 39-42.

The scores:

UST 82 –Ferrer 18, Abdul 12, Teng 12, Mariano 11, Afuang 10, Fortuna9, Daquioag 2, Vigil 2, Pe 2, Bautista 2

ADMU 76 – Buenafe 15, Tiongson 13, Slaughter 12, Gonzaga 12, Ravena 11, Salva 8, Elorde 3, Golla 2, Pessumal 0, Chua 0, Porter 0, Capacio 0

Quarterscores: 20-19, 39-42, 60-58, 82-76

By AJ Bolando

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 1.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Stay updated. Follow us on Twitter @inboundpass and Join the Conversation - @hoopnut, @michaelabasolo, @CharlieC, @janebracher @samuelevardone

32 Comments

• Omega, MD says:

Congratulations Tigers! We’ve always believed in you!

• anonymous-UAAP says:

Bawi bawi lang ang USTe ah congrats sa inyo!

• OBF says:

LOL ADMU will never win against 5 tigers and 3 zebras LOL

• Spinning Back Fist says:

Congratulations Tigers.

• Navigator says:

I don’t see the Blue Eagles really “wanting it” to be completely honest.

• remingtonsteel says:

Yeah right. I wonder why coach Sandy and Mr. Trillo even bothered asking for extra time on the game clock on two different occasions. It really makes no sense. Or does it?

• Ceasar says:

Then that’s on them, as well. You’re saying they didn’t want to win? That’s the worst way for teams to lose..

• WES says:

Juami, Kiefer, Tonino and Ryan wanted it. They played their hearts out. Nico Salva and Greg Slaughter were the players who showed up and didn’t want it. IMO, my favorite Blue Eagle in this tournament is Tonino Gonzaga. He is everywhere.

• WES says:

Respect to Ravena, Gonzaga, Tiongson & Buenafe for showing energy and the will to win! The 4 of you were in it to win it! Nico Salva and Greg Slaughter weren’t. Nico Salva’s average of 1 taunt per basket made was 0 in this game. Goes to show how not fired up he is in this tourney. Amazing pivot by Raven and then double-pump by Buenafe, the Gonzaga block on Teng and the Buenafe clutch 3 to cut down the lead to 1! Jeric Fortuna should get his act together. He is losing this! Also, Aljon Mariano. We get it you are 4th quarter, but please stop goofing around sometimes. Your pivot and at top of the key creations were great.

• Spinning Back Fist says:

Found somewhere:

“I understand there is an NLEX-Big Chill game at 4pm tomorrow. Salva, Sumalinog, and Slaughter play for NLEX and Buenafe for Big Chill. Will their D-league teams spare them (I am not sure how crucial that game is) for the PCCL game? Yesterday Clark Bautista had to rush to the game from a D-league game, hence could only play in the last quarter.”

• wye says:

slaughter did not accidentally bat the ball away..he does that every freaking time…i was wondering why it wasn’t called in the uaap but it really is a delay of game. he probably bats the ball away in order for him to catch up on the ensuing offense. he should stop that habit, delay of game talaga yun.

• calvin says:

Bawi na lang…Ganuon lang ang buhay ng Basketball…OBW (as in Win)?

• Butch Domingo says:

at least magiging masaya ang pasko ng UST kapag natalo nila ang Ateneo na walang ganang maglaro. Kaya paghusayan ninyo na UST hanggang walang gana maglaro ang Ateneo.

• vince says:

Nicegame..too many things happnd in just 1 sec LOL : ) get that game 3 tigers : )

• OBF says:

LOL PCCL is deciding who wins. LOL

• zej says:

ateneo na champion niyan.. :P

• Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear idea

• Great items from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have received here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way wherein you say it. You’re making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. That is actually a terrific website.

• In the great scheme of things you actually get an A+ just for effort. Exactly where you actually confused us was in the facts. You know, it is said, the devil is in the details… And that couldn’t be more correct in this article. Having said that, permit me reveal to you precisely what did deliver the results. Your article (parts of it) can be quite convincing and that is possibly why I am making an effort to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Secondly, although I can notice a jumps in reasoning you come up with, I am not necessarily certain of how you seem to connect the ideas which in turn make your conclusion. For the moment I will, no doubt yield to your issue but wish in the near future you actually connect the facts better.

• Helaine says:

xbox 360 emulator for android tablet

• Trudy says:

Wow! At last I got a blog from where I know how to truly get helpful information regarding
    my study and knowledge.

• Yes! Finally something about insurance.

• vetfarm.gr says:

whoah this weblog is great i like reading your articles. Keep up the great
    work! You understand, lots of persons are searching around for this information, you could help
    them greatly.

• fotomya.com says:

My family members all the time say that I am killing my time
    here at web, however I know I am getting experience
    daily by reading such good articles or reviews.