Skip to content

UST wins in FilOil debut, beats La Salle

by
Saturday, 9 April 2011 4,476 Views / 157 Comments

“Sana UAAP na’ to!” (I wish this was the UAAP already!) exclaimed a jubilant UST coach Pido Jarencio, after his shorthanded charges defeated a deep De La Salle Green Archers squad, 79-70.

Playing without Jeric Teng, Chris Camus, and Eduardo Daquioag, the Tigers leaned on deadeye shooting from Jeric Fortuna, Clark Bautista, and former-UST Tiger Cub Kevin Ferrer to put away the Archers.

All in all, the trio combined for 10 triples, but none bigger than the rookie Ferrer’s, a dagger that came with less than a minute to play, to give the Tigers a 73-65 lead.

Fortuna led his squad with 20 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists, while Melo Afuang added 19 points and 9 boards, despite playing against the Green side’s giants. Ferrer would finish with an all-around effort of 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and a steal.

Jovet Mendoza led the Archers with 15 points and 5 rebounds. Fil-Canadian rookie big man Norbert Torres would score 11, including two triples, but all in the first half.

Simon Atkins likewise scattered 11, but missed multiple shots and committed a key turnover down the stretch.

When asked why UST chose to join the FilOil tournament this summer after usually shunning it, Jarencio jokingly remarked, “Wala akong malalabas [sic] last year.”

Aside from Ferrer, foreign player Karim Abdul made his TV debut, but it was a foul-plagued one, barely worth mentioning. Saddled with three after the first quarter, he would get hit with number four while trying to get a rebound scant minutes into the second quarter.

Abdul would return in the fourth for an even shorter stint, before getting sent back to the bench permanently for this game.  The Tigers though did just fine, thanks in part to some horrible shooting on La Salle’s end of things.

The Archers couldn’t match their first quarter output of 17 in the second, while a combination of long-range shots and superb interior play by Afuang created a 47-33 buffer after twenty minutes.

Unfortunately, the Tigers couldn’t sustain their momentum after the break, and Green Archer Jovet Mendoza decided it would be his period, scoring 10 of his team’s 21 third quarter points, to cut the lead to just 3, 57-54.

Green Archers coach Dindo Pumaren at this point, had nearly emptied his bench, sending in 15 of his active 16, trying to find a quintet that would get them over the hump. UST would hold on though in the payoff period, despite Ferrer and Paolo Pe being hit with their fourth fouls, and Clark Bautista eventually fouling out.

In all, the Archers converted just 21 out of 35 free throws, the squad’s traditional Achilles’ heel. They also failed to hit from beyond the arc, making just 5 of 22, including Atkins’ 1 of 10 performance. W5

The scores:

UST 79 – Fortuna 20, Afuang 19, Bautista 16, Ferrer 14, Abdul 6, Pe 2, Tan 2, Lo 0, de Guzman 0, Marata 0, Whitfield 0.

DLSU 70 – Mendoza 15, Torres 11, Atkins 11, de la Paz 10, Tampus 5, Andrada 4, Sara 4, Van Opstal 3, Elorde 2, Villanueva 2, Gotladera 2, Webb 1, Paredes 0, Pate 0, Vigil 0.

Quarter scoring: 22-17, 47-33, 57-54, 79-70

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Stay updated. Follow us on Twitter @inboundpass and Join the Conversation - @hoopnut, @michaelabasolo, @CharlieC, @janebracher @samuelevardone

157 Comments

• LA SALLE says:

bawi na lng tau sa next game

• Younghusband says:

great game ust

• red guard says:

Pido’s comments about last year certainly ring true but he has a real blue chip in Kevin Ferrer, that 3 showed him as a real go to guy.And Fortuna and Pe really looks improved, however Karim needs more work.

Congrats to the Tiger Pack!

• What Everybody Said says:

Thanks! The 2011 team sure do reminds me of the 2006 team. Fortuna has matured and cured his clumsy plays. Afuang was like a Dennis Rodman in terms of being a horse in a chess game who knows where and when to place. Afuang all game was just at the right time and at the right place. Fortuna & Tata is like the 2006′s combo guard of Cortez-Cuan, with Fortuna being a better shooter than Cortez. Then KF’s obviously a Dylan Ababou type in the Making. Karim will be like our Jervy Cruz. We will just be patient on how his game will develop. Teng & Camus, according to rumors, have taken their games to the next level. Let’s see in the coming season. It’s where all theory will be proven.

• Anti-heat says:

Best of all di na kayo pwede ma hack-a-cuan. Tata will actually make free throws although Cuan was stiil the better passer.

• What Everybody Said says:

Exactly my thoughts. Cuan was a better passer, but with Fortuna erasing all the clumsiness he used to have, is good enough for us. Your bigs are a force!

• Anti-heat says:

Congrats to UST job well done. We deserved to get beat after coming out like that. AVO while playing limited minutes showed a bit of potential. It’s just so frustrating that they gave the Tigers a lot of open looks from the outside.

• What Everybody Said says:

I did not even consider the game a beating. I believe both teams played well but not the extent “everything from the books” were shown. So, I do not consider the game a beating. It’s obvious that you guys miss a direc go-to-guy. Like a Ritualo, Yeo, & Cardona from your previous team. Atkins can not play as the team’s GTG for his “daggers” in the end game are not as deadly. Actually, I believe, only FEU has cerebral assassin, in the prime. Or even ADMU, in the person of Buenafe or Ravena. All I can say is, after watching the game live, the future is bright for DLSU. Gotla and Sara will have their time coming. Other bigs were really passing. The team actually reminds me of the Denver Nuggets. They can work it out. The ball rotation was okay, the only problem is, the rotation is not sure when to end, because there’s no scoring machine. It was all team basketball for the archers yesterday afternoon. If Van Opstal will be able to develop a certain skill set, and the Thunder lives up to the hype, the team will go smooth.

• Anti-heat says:

Nice hearing you out there Christian Soler. I think your stint was comparable to Kiefer’s performance. :D

• red guard says:

@anti heat

just one game and its only the start of the pre season. the archers will be in fighting form and live up to their true potential once the UAAP wars start.

Felt like tryouts time in both games today.Certainly Kiefer and Kevin lived up to hype.

Animo!

@red guard

I don’t know man. They looked so lost out there. This is the problem when their is no clear go to guy in the team. I hope this doesn’t turn out like that 09 campaign.

• DLSU says:

I dont know what to make of Van Opstal. He will be diced by Slaughter if we are dreaming of match up between the two.

• Anti-heat says:

He is clearly a project at this point. That drive to the basket was impressive as he didn’t lose balance or showed some bad habits. The Archers must use this games as experience and develop chemistry. If they play the way they did yesterday we won’t win any championships anytime soon.

• DLSU says:

Clearly he is work in progress but after a year in hiding at the foothills of Antipolo, I expected a rather large improvement. Torres will be a monster too.

• riverphoenix says:

WHat happened to La Salle?!…I thought Dan Sara would be a lift?…see the effect of Ferdinand?

• Sam says:

They played bad in this game. Looked lost out there but I believe they have a lot of potential this year. Dan Sara may not have lived up to the hype in his first game (unlike kiefer) in team a, maybe he was a bit too eager on some occasions but I think he’s going to show how good he is soon.

• What Everybody Said says:

I was not impress with Sara, but, the way he was communicating with his teammates made me think. Dan Sara will just wait for the right time. Sara was communicating well with everyone at that time. Actually, the entire Green Archers were.

• TAS says:

I hope Cris can work in the UAAP as well… Bakit nga pala nawala si Alisson Carlos sa Fil-oil Line-up ng UST?

For UST pre-season updates…

Manalo matalo, wlang iwanan!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!!!

• Knightstrike says:

Yes, nag-improve na ulit UST. May chance na ulit kami sa Final Four, maybe even more.

• Sam says:

I think it is too early to tell how DLSU will fare in the UAAP. And it’s just the first game of the pre-season cup. Too early to tell. A lot of work needs to be done to really reach the potential the team has. They need time to gel and be more familiar to how each player plays.

• 4peat says:

The real game of DLSU was on the 3rd and 4th Qtr. The first 2 were training!

Hope you are right

• 4peat says:

Have I been wrong yet???

And remember, Marata and Revilla were not yet in the team. To say the least, the speed by which DLSU can play is not disclosed. Perhaps, the 3 point shooting too.

Having said that, I am not taking anything away from Pido and co. They played with what was presented to them. They were not complete too.

• you were all yellow says:

first preseason tourney ever by ust under pido and they did not disappoint. coach was right when he said that he “hid” his previous teams because there wasn’t anything to showcase and the element of surprise always worked for him in the uaap…but now that the lineup is as strong as it has been for years, no surprise necessary. kevin ferrer was everything we knew he already is but we can see that he can be a lot more (from tv he can be mistaken as mirza though, with that #14 and lanky frame). abdul and whitfield did not have great debuts but they still have room for adjustment before the uaap. fortuna and afuang looked vastly improved and tata is his same deadly self. we actually beat a loaded dlsu team without mariano, teng, camus and daquioag and their returns (hoepfully mariano can reurn this year) will only bolster an already strong lineup. good things are ahead for the tiger…go uste!!

• What Everybody Said says:

Dude, how strong is Mariano? Tata’s 3pointers all came in the 1st half. He should work on that.

• You were all yellow says:

So far mariano’s injury might force him to miss the uaap seaso. Entirely as his recovery is scheduled for October. Remember though that this might be a blessing in disguise as ferrer will be given more minutes as a result.

• What Everybody Said says:

I have no idea how much of a loss mariano is, one thing I can hope for is Kevin Ferrer will live up to the hype like he did in this game and UST will play mature basketball. This is the first time I saw UST in 4 years protect a lead, although it was almost snatched away, but, at least, this time, they did no panic.

• Doug says:

Former RP Youth member, Aljohn Mariano can contribute in hitting 3′s. If I’m not mistaken, he’s 2nd or 3rd next to Tata in 3pt F/G. Not to mention that he’s also a slasher just like JTeng although I find Jeric more athletic.

• Supalpal ka noh! says:

PanIs ang TaGa Taft..PUro Pa POGI lng. GO sk!

• Junior Tubero says:

Great Win for UST. when was the last time they defeated DLSU?

• Migs says:

tagal na..good game ust. ayos to, mas maganda ang uaap season kung ganito ang showing ng mga teams.

• What Everybody Said says:

UST can finish as low as 6th and as high as 3rd, and a surprise in 2nd. Level of competitiveness is down to the 6th placer. That’s how competitive the league has become this year.

• You were all yellow says:

I’m pretty low on the 3 teams which changed coaches (up,ue,feu) so my take is ust’s floor this year is 5th. Not only did those teams switch coaches, they don’t look good on paper.

• banned says:

dont sleep on FEU. i heard sentchou’s a monster. noundou has got nothing on this guy, if the info i got was correct.

• What Everybody Said says:

FEU is strong on paper too. Bringas brothers are still there. Combo guard in RR & Terrence are still there. Cawaling might raise his stocks for pro drafting as this might be his final year, I believe. With regards to the bench, I have no idea of their depth. But I believe the bench is also formidable. And the locker room drama FEU used to have the recent years might not happen this year because of Coach Flores.

• BluEagle says:

I didn’t see the game… Did Marata or Revilla play for the archers? I saw Marata and Monfort separately at Rockwell last night, I thought they hadn’t played at all…

• That Important Defensive Rebound says:

Hindi ko napanuod yung game, sayang.
    Tanong ko lang, did the De La Salle Green Archers once again paraded a “all tisoy 5″? I think their the only team in the history college basketball to do that.

@TIDR

LMAO yeah I think at some point of the game they did.

• DLSU says:

Vigil, Atkins, Van Opstal, Gotladera and Webb played but I dont think they played together. I may have missed one to make the actual 5?

• What Everybody Said says:

@A-H Van Opstal was huge. Atkins also. VO looked like a pretty boy UFC fighter to me. I did not like how Joshue Webb played yesterday afternoon. Every time KF was owning him, he was just responding like a clown. I think DLSU should put premium on Van Opstal. The kid has the physique and adrenaline. All he needs is a deadly skill set. After that, as soon as Greg graduates, he’ll be the next force in the middle every team will have a problem with.

• Anti-heat says:

This is why I told you anything that Webb will do on the court will be considered bonus. Ron Artest minus the defense and the 3pt shooting.

• What Everybody Said says:

I think it is. Luck for you guys, you have Van Opstal at a very young age. He will peak some day.

• That Important Defensive Rebound says:

Hehehe, totoo naman di ba?
        Green Archers pa lang ang nakaka pag field up nang Bagatsing and Atkins at the guard spots, Maierhofer and Webb at Forwards and Walsham at Center. Nung Early 2000′s, Cortez and Cardona at guards, Wilson and Vainio at forwards and Manny Ramos at Center. Nung 90′s, (correct me na lang if I’m wrong) Dino Aldeguer, Mon Jose, Francis Zamora, Dominic Uy and Don Carlos Allado
        Kakatawa lang, hehehe, but NOT in an offensive, insulting way.

• kamote king says:

@Junior Tubero

UST last beat DLSU in August 2007. I think via double OT.

• UbNoob says:

Mukhang nag practice lang ng rotations si dindo ha. Katakot si torrest, ang laki laki tapos nag tretres! hohoho

• Junior Tubero says:

@kamote salamat pre

• What Everybody Said says:

Oh, SK? Did you see KF play with a Black & Gold jersey? He actually hit the dagger for us to ice the game. And oh, I think he has already enrolled. And the parents could not be any happier for making the right decision. So, tell your recruitment team to buy some other player ’cause KF got the brains and ethics.

• Junior Tubero says:

sabi ni charles tiu. hindi lang daw pumasa sa ACET si Ferrer kaya napunta sa UST

And your proof is?
        And your point is?

• Dennis says:

Don’t mind them bro. Inggit lang yan.

• What Everybody Said says:

Just keep posting, and KF will keep playing for the Tigers. :)

• What Everybody Said says:

I just saw the tweet of Charles Tiu regarding this. So, what if KF did not pass the ACET? Your point is?

• BluEagle says:

That he can’t cut it academically?

• What Everybody Said says:

And the relevance to this article is?

• BluEagle says:

Well you did mention to the other guy to tell his recruitment team to ‘buy other players’, as well as saying that KF has the ‘brains and ethics’ (what, to not be bought?)… And the relevance of your words to this article is? Pareho lang kayo. Tbh, I don’t know who this Charles Tiu person is, but if what he says is true, maybe all he is just pointing out is that KF could’ve been a Blue Eagle had he passed the ACET. But he didn’t, and I won’t say that UST bought his services, which others might do, maybe its that he found that UST was more suited for him and that their exam was easier for him than the ACET.

• What Everybody Said says:

Oh, dude. Have you back read from the start? The other guy you were referring to and I have been going at it. The rest of the people here in the forum can attest that the other guy you are referring to has posted lame and disgusting comments. He was the first who insulted my school. I even defended NU when people are hating NU. I even said, the other guy is not even from there because people from NU are going to school and studying, ergo, they are educated unlike the other guy who his slamming on everyone isn’t because of his actions. So, my posts, relevant or not to the article had some roots way back. The war of words just did not end with this other guy. you can ask some of the people here if you want on how this other guy is. And by the way, Charles Tiu is the brother of Chris Tiu. And if you are going to look at my post, I ask a question in the right manner. I asked before even saying anything.

• What Everybody Said says:

And if you know the entire story, since you’ve brought up me saying that their recruitment team is buying players, the other guy you are referring to actually commented on my post saying that the player is already theirs. That they offer very good unlike my school who can not offer anything because our facilities are ancient. That, sir, started 2010. middle of 2010. So, sir, before you hit on me, make sure you have read anything. And if I do not have any difference from him, what makes you no different from me? You are commenting on me as if you’ve read everything. That I didn’t on the other guy you are referring to. Like I said, before everything else, this other guy replied to one my post not even mentioning his school and insulted my school. His comments were from out of nowhere. Now, sir, that went on. Hope you’ve read from the start before you have judge. So, I ask, what’s the difference now?

@BluEagle

Are you saying even Ateneo’s recruits are taking the ACET? If so can you tell me how Ryan Buenafe passed it?

• Escudo says:

@A-H

You got that nailed. Ryan passing the ACET may very well mean he should have been coasting the grades all this time.

Unfortunately, that isn’t the case is it?!

• BluEagle says:

I knew you were replying to SK, the troll who may or may not be from NU. All I’m saying is that you cant question the relevance of other people’s comments in this article for there are multitudes if comments from other people as well as your own, that are irrelevant to this article. Granted, you were feeding the troll, but that’s on you as well. I accept that I have also been guilty of troll-feeding and saying stuff out of nowhere when I see insulting comments on these boards. And I didn’t want the discussion to have gone as far as it has, so I apologize. The difference between you and me? I don’t know. but if there is none, then would that be a positive for me, or a negative for you? Anyway I guess I was just trying to give an answer to the question you asked tubero. Yes, his comment is irrelevant to the discussion. But going back to that issue, it stands to reason that maybe KF would’ve been a Blue Eagle if he passed the ACET. He couldn’t cut it academically, so he went another route. My answer was a simple answer to your question. Nothing to feel bad about. Right?

• Hellboy says:

A-H

Oo nga noh.. Hmmm?

• BluEagle says:

Well KF was a great HS player, so if ADMU does some underhanded techniques to get good recruits in, wouldn’t it be logical to have KF pass the exam and get him on the team, similar to Buenafe (as you seem to imply)? I find it funny that DLSU people would butt in to this discussion. The irony. Then again, your school are experts at getting academically unqualified players, am I right? ;-)

• BluEagle says:

And with that, I am signing off.

• Anti-heat says:

Oh yeah sure we are good at it. But at least we served our time for it, we got suspended for one season right? Well at least we had the decency to admit it and take punishment for it unlike some other schools.

• Dennis says:

Guys chill lang kayo. Junior Tubero is obviously a troll. This is exactly what he wants. I bet he doesn’t even go to any of your schools.

• What Everybody Said says:

Oh, BluEagle! His comment was simple. It was double meaning. So, I responded with a double meaning question. Surely you did not get that. His comment, if responded without any safety, will surely mislead me. So, I responded with a double meaning question to his double meaning statement. And one thing, if you don’t pass the ACET does it mean you can’t cut it academically? Sheesh. My uncle did not pass the ACET but went on to become a CPA and a lawyer. So, if a non-ACET passer like my uncle, is can’t cut it academically, why was he able to pass both the board and the bar? Same thing for KF. It does not mean that if he did not pass the ACET that does not mean he can;t cut it academically. Sir, ACET is not the standards of education. Di ba nga mahirap ang ACET sabi niyong mga atenista? Tama naman kayo. Kasi ang ACET above standards. So, you can’t say na those who can’t pass the ACET can’t cut it academically. And my question between me and you is about the difference is, we both fell into trap with the trolls. That simple. And by the way, some of the Ateneans here,in the previous posts do not call the non passers of the ACET as people who can’t cut it academically. Hindi sila tumitingin sa mga tao na di mo katulad ng mababa.

• What Everybody Said says:

@Dennis yes, bro. I understand your point. Kaya lang someone here is acting like a saint before making the apology that set me off. And to the rest of the inboundpassers here, my apologies if I fell into the trap of the trolls. @A-H just observe him. it’s obvious he discriminates.

• What Everybody Said says:

BluEagle, it’s obvious that you discriminate. First you call KF as someone who can’t cut it academically then you say DLSU people butt in to discussions like this. Wow, you really are something, huh. You ain’t no Man for Others. I’ve come from a Jesuit institution. I’ve studied for 7 years under the Jesuit system. I grew up my school empowering me on how great I could be someday and I’m blessed that I’m Atenean. But never has my the Jesuits made me learn what you have just said: call someone who can’t pass a single test as someone who can’t cut it academically. And before you say something to A-H, mind you, the guy has given constructive discussions the previous threads.

• Anti-heat says:

Let him be WES. He’s either a wanna be atennean or one of those Ateneans who think Ateneo is immaculate. This is by no means a shot at Ateneans, but I’m sure almost all the schools here had their hands stained with “dirt”. It is what it is, we admitted the shame and sat out for 1 season. Good thing is we redeemed ourselves and won the year after (in basketball at least). We also somehow got strict on academics that’s why the guy we recruited from Baste is no longer in our school as he couldn’t keep up with his academics. What about the guy you took from Baste seems to me you are giving him plenty of chances to make up. I’ll end this by saying pareparehas lang tayong marurumi ang kamay kaya wag na tayong magturo dyan sa mga ibang schools saying, nag-aaral ba sila etc…. Cause when you think about it almost all the schools have goten their fair share of controversies, lets stick to talking hoops shall we. :D

• What Everybody Said says:

@A-H Sure. Let’s just enjoy constructive discussions already initiated. We all know who’s playing saint here. Nice game, btw, A-H!

• BluEagle says:

Oh AH. Your school had the decency to admit it? If you were on top of the issue when it came out, it was either mahuhuli na or i-admit nalang ng DLSU that they cheated. Might be hearsay, might be true, but the fact remains, you cheated. You can say that everybody is dirty, that everybody cheats; the fact remains that your accusations are baseless. It won’t hold up in a court of a law, regardless if you believe that it is accepted as the truth by the court of public opinion. And the Arvie Bringas issue is a no-brainer (pun intended). Why would DLSU risk its rep again so soon after the Benitez debale? And my logic is still solid, why not let KF in if the school did let other academically unqualified students (which you say) in the past? Change of heart? C’mon son.

• BluEagle says:

And no, WES, I’m no saint. I’m not pretentious enough to think of myself as one but thank you for your opinion. Did I discriminate? KF was academically unqualified. FACT (if the report was true). Did I say that he was smart as a rock? That he would not succeed in life because he did not pass the ACET? FICTION. At the time, he did not cut it because he did fail. False logic? How? Of course I did not mean that he will fail in life for this; I don’t know how you got this from my words. I know peers and superiors that came from different backgrounds, so I know that the school does not make the man. Also, if you will refer to players that did not allow themselves to be ‘bought’ as having ‘brains and ethics’, then those that did (and please give names and cite proofs) do not? If they did, would you know their reasons? Do you know if they needed the money to live better, to support their families or for their own selfish purposes? Do not judge, lest ye be judged. Fine, I make the same mistakes, but at least I own up to it.

• BluEagle says:

I do agree on one thing that you guys have said… Let’s just stick to basketball. Dun nalang magkaalaman.

• Anti-heat says:

Sighs baseless accusations? Yes it may be baseless but based on what bengal said below it might not be so baseless. Magaling kasi magtakip ng butas yung iba dyan with their influence and money. As I’ve said I admit my school had it’s fairshare of underhanded tactics that’s why I’m not going to point on any school here cheating seeing as we did it ourselves. So if you want to point us out for cheating it’s ok that’s on you. I just asked an honest unoffending question. Do ateneno recruits take ACET? Do they need to pass it to be admitted? I just stated buenafe seeing as he’s always the one having a hard time on the class but you immediately went on the defensive. I should’ve just asked an atenean who is more open minded.

• You were all yellow says:

Ferrer was from ust high so he did not need to have a high score in the ustet to get in. So maybe he flunked the acet, but admu has enough backers to overlook this. I seriously doubt everyone in te admu roster (or everyone in any school’s roster in fact) all passed their respective school’s entrance exams. Still, kf flunking the acet might be the best thing to happen to us. He also was not wooed by nu unlike neypes and labingisa..and from what I heard one or both of ferrer’s parents and/or grandparents were thomasians so that’s that.

• What Everybody Said says:

Oh, BluEagle. Re-read my statements. I said if not passing the ACET does it mean one can not cut it academically? So, like in the example I have just used, one being able to pass the board and the bar, means that the person i was referring to did not pass the acet. so, like what you said, kf can’t cut it academically ’cause he did not pass the acet. so, why was my uncle able to pass the board and the bar? before he was able to pass it, he should have pass his subjects. so, that means, a person not passing the acet does not necessarily mean he/she can’t cut it academically. that was my point! that;s how i got it from your words. i’ve own up to my mistakes as well. re-read my posts again if you want, i have given my apologies. and yeah, on my issues regarding claims on those players, well, the troll you are referring to admitted it and even gave out supporting details. what I was wrong and sorry for now is taking his statement as facts. I got provoked. Insulted even on my school’s capabilities by those trolls. I reacted violently to which I hold now as a mistake. And to not further any damage, I would not respond to them anymore like that. a bunch of others came in to support and even say what is wrong of offering such luxuries to college players.

• What Everybody Said says:

@BluEagle I think I know where the misunderstanding is coming from. Correct me if I’m wrong, your point was, “can’t cut it academically in the standards of ateneo”? right? Sorry, but the way your statement was presented and obviously a double-meaning in the middle of it, that “he can’t cut it academically, in general”. If this rings true, I will give my share of apologies regarding the misunderstanding. But I sure do believe sir that the statement can have a lot of interpretations. I think a better statement would have fit if ever your point was really what I have thought of.

• bengal says:

Tell whoever is posing as Charles Tiu that LA Tenorio and Ryan Buenfe, per their own admission and lots of thread repeatedly confirming it, did not passed the ACET either. The real Charles Tiu appeals to me as a respectable person, would be the last person I expect to demean another person, especially someone not born, bred or belonging to their social bracket.

If he did it out of some noble purpose, then he should reveal also the names of others, recent players of Ateneo, who entered Loyola through the backdoor, coming from the so-called Ateneo de Pasig, one abruptly left for the US after his high school records were questioned, the other one did not enjoy attending classes so expectedly, was dropped from the school roll. What about those two guys who just completed their 5 years basketball program, but not the academic requirements for a four-year course.

@BluEagle and WES

Let’s stop it here. @BluEagle I really wanted to ask that question without pointing any negative at ADMU I just wanted to know what the process is for Ateneo when it comes to recruiting. I know their are guys like Slaughter and Chris Tiu, who base on how they speak and what people tell me, could have aced the ACET. Then their are guys like Buenafe who have trouble keeping up with their accademics. I just wanted to know that if Ateneo goes after a player especially someone not from their school do they give them some sort of exam? That’s all I wanted to know anyway. If you were offended then I apologize.

• What Everybody Said says:

I’m with you on this one. I’ll stop here. I have given my fair share of apologies.

• BluEagle says:

Apologies as well. I’ve said my case and I don’t want to be mislabeled as a troll, though I can see that my first reply can be interpreted as trollish. But you can see that I never slammed UST, and only commented on other schools when there were implications of cheating thrown our way…
            Anyway, lets move on, stick to bball talk nalang. Besides, from last year, isa lang naman talaga kinaiinitan ng dugo ko dito sa inboundpass… The school with the same color as ours na feel na dinadaya sila everytime they lose. Sa uaapsports or dito sa inboundpass same story. But that’s a topic for another day.

• BluEagle says:

Moving on… I actually am interested to see UST’s progress. I’d like to see if Camus improved his game around the basket or if he still has those habits wherein he thinks he’s a slasher and 3-point shooter (although he might have improved on these skills), and if KF can also compete with Parks and Ravena for the ROTY plum (are there are other prospects?) As for DLSU, its been several years where they haven’t had one real go-to-guy/standout but for me, La Salle is La Salle, and they always compete and stay at the top of the standings. Though I’d feel more confident about their chances if coach Franz was still on the bench…

• What Everybody Said says:

Yep, just for the record Sir BluEagle, I never thought that you slammed UST. what I did was on the non-passers of ACET. That’s about it. So, I’m cool. Issues were settled. We may have our differences aside, but we have one thing in common: we all hate trolls. As a sign of cooling down I can give you some supported/substantiated rumors I’ve gained. Rumor has it that both Teng & Camus improved. Although, that’s on paper. You have two schools with the same color (on a generic sense). Are they with the teeth or with the feathers?

• BluEagle says:

WES, I believe they refer to it as the fastest moving creature. Well, Blue and White din sila, so I guess obvious na kung sino to. But that was last year, I wanna see what they will say this year. Reset muna ng animosity. We’ll just see pag magharap na ang mga teams. The season can’t start soon enough.

• What Everybody Said says:

Haha. I think I know this. Hhhmmm. I think this issue started ever since that streak in 2004 started, right? Oh, how I remember how LA Tenorio step-back 3pt buzzer. I remember this because I used to cheer for the Blue Eagles, when I was still in Ateneo de Iloilo.

• Tax says:

With what I’m familiar with there is such a thing called as “reconsideration.” Simply put giving a student a chance to study due to special factors like athletic skills. Quotas for limited number of slots, which could be the single biggest reason why many smart candidates never pass the ACET, are also waived for athletes. The quotas are highest for students coming from top tier skills in QC, and then from those coming in from Metro Manila and then goes down if you’re from the province or public schools. The passing grade requirement is also lowest for athlete applicants.

You can find this in other schools as well, UP, La Salle etc. Everyone knows that’s what goes on. I’m sure you’ve heard that Joseph Yeo doesn’t know what his course is. Buenafe isn’t an isolated case, and if we was the board should have found out already.

• Tax says:

Also forgot to mention the entrance essay. Ateneo looks for certain traits in a person, and not having them can break an otherwise good exam grade and HS record. I don’t really think they require this from the athletes.

@Tax

I’m just surprised at the fact that a strict school like Ateneo gives Buenafe a ton of chances. Well part of me is also happy that Ateneo is really trying to help guys like him get a degree as I’m sure other schools might have just given him a fabricated one.

• Turling says:

hala. di ako troll mga sir. :D

kaya ko pinost yan kasi medyo nakakainis lang yun tweet ni charles “the insider” tiu. gusto ko kasi i-point out na kung si Rabeh, Nkemakolam at Buenafe nakapasok sa ADMU, si ferrer pa kaya?

considering na kayang kaya gawan ng paraan ng mga backers yan.

• What Everybody Said says:

@Turling A mistake I’ve acknowledge, sir. Actually, sir, I was initially offended by the tweet myself. But later on thought about it. Since I don’t know the guy personally and so were his intentions, I would not bother na lang. He said in the end “would’ve add a lot on the Blue Eagles” something like that. I think it was unnecessary to mention KF’s failure in passing the ACET. Kasi the tweet would have ended meaning a lot things. But, obviously, the guys reason for the tweet was KF would have been a nice addition for his school only if he didn’t fail the test. But, of course, it’s not nice to talk about someone else’s failure. Sa pagkakaalam ko kasi, schools sends lettters to students regarding their status. So, meaning, that information was supposed to be private.

• What Everybody Said says:

Hayaan na lang natin, sir. No intention of offending the school or KF for that tweet. That I believe. Let’s talk about a tweet na lang I also read about? At least, this one’s a brewing issue. A news personality once tweeted that he had a chance to exchange conversations with some UST alumni ata. Then, their discussion was the coaching staff of UST. The tweet occurred two weeks before the SMB-Alaska finals of last year ata. Not sure if it was the finals. The alumni was quoted saying, “It’s the perfect time for Pido to leave, and the perfect time for Siot to come in.”. Weeks later, Siot got demoted to assistant. A rule then of head coaches in the pro league can’t coach in the uaap. With the move of siot down, I thought pido will be replaced. Months later, in some forums, a lot of Thomasians are saying that this might be a crucial season for Pido’s tenure as coach. Would like to hear your opinion about this, sir! :)

• What Everybody Said says:

*A rule then came in to my mind

• Junior Tubero says:

From what i have read.

Pido will resign after this season if nothing happens with our team.

the prospects as replacements are Siot, David, Espino, Cantojos and Abuda, all of them are former UST players (i think). :D

but personally i would like to see all of them in the coaching staff including Pido.

Imagine this:

Head Coach – Siot

Big Man Coach – Espino and Cantojos

Defensive Coach – Abuda

Skills / Shooting Coach – Bal David and Pido

but the question is can UST afford all of them? i think not. the school officials needs to woo back the wealthy alumni booters that left when coach Aric also left. :D

• you were all yellow says:

i have always been a staunch supporter of pido from the start…i was there when the school started chanting “we love pido” and i still believe in him til now. he isn’t an x’s and o’s guy but he gives this team the heart and he knows how to extract the best from his guys. that’s why i foresee ust barging into the final4 this year and the finals next year. he does need an x’s and o’s assistant though which he lost when acot left.

i don’t like the list of possible coaches that are provided…espino is still an active player btw…cantonjos and david’s personalities aren’t fit for a headcoach coz both are soft spoken. abuda maybe…siot is a proven coach and is a great replacement if ever but he is surely still waiting for a return job in the pros…the guy that comes to mind is patrick fran…he is currently an assistant coach for meralco under ryan gregorio and with the right seasoning he might be an effective head coach. still, i’d want pido to win at least one more.

Question though…why is pido getting criticized so much when he already has a championship while more heralded coaches like dindo, capacio and austria don’t got one? remember that pido got his with a “lesser talented” team compared to what austria, dindo and capacio had.

• What Everybody Said says:

Exactly. Never a time when Pido had a F4 type of team he failed to make it in the F4. Culture is what Pido is to the team. Pido was something. He help shape up an identity to which the university has been holding on for years. During the year 2006, we all realized that. UST being quiet never too loud of what it has achieved or has in the making and being humble all through out. Then he turned it into solid rock with the Never Say Die Attitude. Now, look at our school. We have embraced it and have made it as our identity completely. Those are the things Pido has done for the team and the school at large. I hope if ever he leaves after this season, as what JT posted earlier, what he shaped up for us will remain.

• You were all yellow says:

Like I said in a previous post, he is at an ultimatum this year…he finally has the pieces and will be able to show how he can coach with some material. Exactly the word i was looking for Wes, identity. He has that never say die, never back down trait in him that rubs off on his players. Especially to the current team coz they are all his recruits. Man I’d want him to succeed and get one more title…just to silence his critics. I hope everyone sees his value as a coach.

• What Everybody Said says:

That kind of identity and attitude turned out to be a patent of ours already. Man, Pido’s more than the playbook. Just like Phil Jackson. The Zen Master. Pido, on the other hand, is the character builder. His teachings and culture will go down both in history and bloodline of every Tiger. I hope he succeeds with this line-up. Not with a title, but victories we would be able to remember. UST will forever live up to its identity of being quiet and humble but yet full of surprises. We’re the ultimate underdog every contender would respect to go play against. All the best for our school, YWAY!

• Junior Tubero says:

Junior Tubero pala ito.

• What Everybody Said says:

You just said you are 21. Normally, people at the age of 15,16,or17 take the ACET. So, ilang years ka nag grade1?

• Sagapok says:

nag masteral sa grade 1 nga

• SK v2 says:

mommy ako lang po nakapasa sa ACET. si SK po mula bata palang eh rugby na ang inatupag kaya ayan, nasa NU poh siya!

• What Everybody Said says:

I did not notice you were a Thomasian from above. I saw the tweet myself. It was a tweet. Although it the guy has about 5K followers and tweets open to the public, I find the guy just stating a something that he got to know about. I do not know the veracity. I personally do not know who Charles Tiu is, so let us not talk about what he just said. By the way, sir, if you’re going to read down below, I misinterpreted your comment as someone not from UST and posted a double meaning statement. Sorry, I just got used to posts slamming UST. My apologies for whatever misinterpretation that might have occured. My bad. For now, peace. And happy 400 years to us! May this season be magical like the year 2006! Viva Santo Tomas!!!

• Junior Tubero says:

oo nga SK tama ka. :D

sasang ayon na lang ako sayo. :D

• NU says:

New Forever21 at SM Makati! Tara! =)

• What Everybody Said says:

Nice to know that a lot of Thomasians are still tuning in to the games even this early. I was proud to sing the anthem even just in a pre-season game. Let’s hope for all the best for the coming season! We all know celebrating 400 years is already something big, but the extra icing would definitely be by winning the basketball title in the UAAP. VIVA SANTO TOMAS! “Ever your valiant legions, IMBUED WITH UNENDING GRACE!”

• Raijin says:

| buti na lang! pero muntik nang mag collapse sa dulo. the same “chokeness” sickness by the Tigers during end-game/clutch period after the 2006 Finals. hehe buti, mukang may magsasalba nang go to guy sa clutch with name KEVIN FERRER. kudos also sa effort ni Afuang, beterano na talaga umasta. mukang sya captain ball this season. si Karim “Boy Negro”, medyo malamya pa pero ramdam na presence sa ilalim. hehe

• What Everybody Said says:

I think it’s one critical area in the team’s basketball game that they have improved. They have matured as a team. They have great communication. All players from the bench were cheering on each other. They are better team now. Fortuna’s one great leader in the making. Karim is an emotional player, I believe. He will have his own growth too.

• Doug says:

@SK.. get a life dude or maybe, get a brain. :) stop being nonsensical. Sometimes it helps to keep your mouth shut than to be called a retard, don’t you think?

@WES, may I just if are you a member of TigerPack?

• What Everybody Said says:

No, I’m not, sir. I’m just 20 years of age.

• What Everybody Said says:

Sir Doug, if you are a Thomasian, apologies for I have fell into the trap of the trolls. My slams on SK regarding the recruitment was way out of line. I took unsubstantiated claims against him. Rest assured, I did not hit on NU. I even defended NU when others were hitting on NU. I said SK is a poser from NU, because the way he acts is that of an uneducated being while the people in NU go to school and be educated. I just ticked off when UST was insulted by this douche.

• What Everybody Said says:

Well, you see, SK, I have addressed Doug with a sir on an assumption that he might be years ahead of me, since I’m only 20 and a fresh graduate. Then if not, it’s not a problem. Why? Because the guy speaks with sense. Unlike you, you can’t speak any sense. You just keep on hitting and hitting. So, I do not feel the urgency and utmost respect to address you as such.

• Doug says:

WES, your apology is not necessary. Not at all. I suggest you though not to further respond to SK who is a low life creature and which I’m sure, a lot of us wished he’s an aborted child. :) I can be mean too when I have to. But it will be your choice of course. There are no moderators in this site who can screen the messages. A lot of nonsense and off topic comments posted here. Some may be entertaining but most of the time, these posts are irritating and such a pain (nosebleed naren if I may say). By the way, if you are interested to join the Pack, just let me know.

SK, if your existence here means to bash people, try PEX, you’re very welcome there .I guess this site needs some trash cleaning and we will be very happy to include you on the long list of first batch.

• What Everybody Said says:

Woooah! So, you’re a Tiger Pack??? Okay, okay. :) Hhmmm. How can I? I don’t want to drop my e-mail here as to at least protect my privacy, considering there’s some low life creatures here that I’m not sure of what they are capable of doing. How can I get in touch? And yes, sir. I will not respond to the low life creature anymore. Thanks,sir!

• SK v2 says:

SK huhu hihi

• Doug says:

*just ask

• What Everybody Said says:

I had a chance to be in Katipunan did not because I pursued a course not offered by the school. Ateneo education is fundamentally the same for all Jesuit institutions for the primary and secondary levels. So, I’m no poser. I know all the lines and motto of the Jesuits. AMDG (For the Greater Glory of God), In Omnibus Amare et Sevire, Magis, works of Fr. Manoling, The Prayer for Generosity, Spirtual Excercises. Sorry,SK, but the Ateneo education is really fundamentally sound and centralized. :) I’ve never spoke ill nor wished bad for your school, however, it is what you always do. I will let you be you. Good luck to your life though. Hope you will have some wake-up call someday.

• shawndman says:

tsk di lang napunta sa ateneo si ferrer di na nakapasa sa ACET. wag naman sana ganun. the University of Santo Tomas hold the most number of general championships sa UAAP and is a the pioneer in the league. Di ba NCAA kayo nagsumula? with that kind of attitude from you people, you dont deserve to be great. it is only with humility that one can achieve total greatness. and our school has been so modest and humble to boast of its rich historical background. just check on wikipedia, or google it. di biro ang 400 years..

• Sagapok says:

Sk, kailangan mo na talaga ma sapian. baliktad mundo mo.

• That Important Defensive Rebound says:

For those who question why the Green Archers keep missing their free throws, I encourage you all to try this exercise.

In the basketball court, run from baseline to baseline at least 5 times at you’re fullest speed, but in each return, make 40 high frequency jumping jacks. Then try to shoot two freebies.

Well, I made both mine, hehe, all because I intelligently used the square on the fiberglass.

But seriously, the Green Archers’ system is probably the best since its dynasty proven. But it has its minuses or side effects. Executing the fullcourt press for forty minutes is obviously exhausting. And when deadball situations arrive, you will notice their hands on their knees and heads bowed breathing heavily.

• You were all yellow says:

Is it just me or was ust able to easily beat the formerly vaunted dlsu press? Perhaps it is only the preseason but dlsu did not display their trademark 40 minute defense. They did have good stretches but not all game like they used to. Either that or ust practiced a lot on their press break..fortuna’s steady play and general ball care of the team helped too.

• Animo Dave says:

Looks like “sinusukatan” lang ang mga magiging kalaban. And what the new crop can and cannot do. Looks like Luigi couldn’t roll that well too. My 2 centavos.

• Anti-heat says:

He’s gotten used to playing against it for years. I think that’s why. Maybe the archers weren’t playing that hard, I’m not taking anything away from the tigers though. Regardless we will find out in the upcoming season.

• Tax says:

UST relieved the press by running the break, good communication and always making sure everyone’s looking at the ball ready to receive.

The real killer in this game though was UST’s rainbow shooting, where La Salle flopped at in the last quarter. (Ehem, ehem, Simon Atkins)

• Anti-heat says:

Yeah not to mention they made a lot of baskets especially 3s. You can’t exactly press when the other team is making buckets

• Doug says:

yeah, probably Pido simply prepared his unit for this game. It’s not a secret that whole court press has been the primary weapon of Archers in defense. Luckily enough, the Tigers are learning to execute better press breaks earlier in a pre-season game.

• PG says:

tambakan na pala bukas.

• SK v2 says:

LAYAS!

• shawndman says:

ok lang matalo sa nu kasi kumbaga sa PBA reinforced conference kasi linalaruan ng nu. reinforced na ng mga pirata tpos reinforced pa ng sm. tsk! wEVE GoT iT ALL for U! plus points per win kasi may advantage cards sila. naks! lupet!

• reklamer says:

I do believe all of the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

• Hi there, just became aware of your weblog thru Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I?ll be grateful for those who proceed this in future. Lots of people will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

• Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been running a blog for? you make running a blog glance easy. The total glance of your web site is great, let alone the content material!

• Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make seriously articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular submit extraordinary. Magnificent job!